FocusWriter is a simple, distraction-free writing environment. It utilizes a hide-away interface that you access by moving your mouse to the edges of the screen, allowing the program to have a familiar look and feel to it while still getting out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in your work. It's available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, and has been translated into many different languages.
- Added support for pasting RTF in Windows
- Switched back to dynamic builds for Windows
- Updated dictionaries
- FIXED: Themes did not always forget changes
- FIXED: Treated every paragraph as a scene when divider is empty
- FIXED: Switched tabs during autosave
- FIXED: Allowed pasting and saving invalid null character
- Translation updates: Catalan, Esperanto, Lithuanian, Portuguese (Brazil)
Reviewing 1.5.1 (Jul 4, 2014)
Excellent word processor. It has just the features you need for keeping notes and scraps, and is an excellent Windows Write replacement. I love the clean GUI, and portability always adds usefulness. This is a rare genre, being a "clean screen" word processor/text editor. The only other program of this type is WriteMonkey, which does not have an inline spell check and does not use RTF. While it reads and saves DOCX, I wish FocusWriter would read DOC. It does read ODT, which may become more popular. Don't be put off by the default configuration. It's full screen and the colors are drab. You can easily fix it by unchecking the "full screen" option, and going into the Settings,,, Themes, and changing the colors and fonts to your taste. I also like the optional typewriter sounds, which help you type faster and more accurately. Also, it saves the cursor position if you wish, which is great for note keeping, lists, and collecting quotes. Highly recommended!
No comments yet