freeCommander is a dual-panel file explorer with many features. In addition to the standard file management features, it can be used to compare directories, display folder sizes, synchronize folders and more. The program can also open/create ZIp and CAB files, and open RAR files as well as search inside those archives. You can set view filters, create folder list (for printing), change file attributes, launch a command prompt, take a desktop screenshot and more.
- Main features in FreeCommander:
- Dual-panel technology - horizontal and vertical (one panel possible too)
- Tabbed interface
- Full access to desktop
- Optional tree view for each panel
- Built-in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format
- File viewer and thumbnail view inside archives too
- Built-in archive handling: ZIP (read, write)
- Nested archive handling
- Plugins for other archive (RAR, 7z, ...)
- Plain view - structureless view for files and folders
- Linked browsing
- Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu
- Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders (alternatively as Windows or FreeCommander operation)
- File searching (inside archive too)
- Create and verify MD5 checksums
- Wipe files
- Multi rename tool
- File properties and context menu
- Calculation of folder size
- Folder comparison
- Folder synchronization
- Modification of file date and attributes
- Folder / program favorites
- File filters (regexp possible too) for display and file operations
- User defined columns for detailed views
- DOS command line
- Quick viewer
- Quick search
- Quick filter
- Quick starter
- All shortcuts are definable
- A lot of settings - you can configure almost all
- Multiple language support
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Feb 17, 2014)
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Dec 25, 2013)
While not perfect, I think FC is the best out there. It's amazing how many file managers there are, and even more amazing how many shortcomings they have. Many of them simply do not work in an X64 environment, some do not work with external copy programs such as Teracopy, some have garish colors that make your eyes bleed, some have tiny tool bar icons which you can neither see nor adjust. FC is not really X64 compatible, but uses a satisfactory transparent workaround. I especially like the flexibility of FC, and I use single window and a tree (Explorer style). Personally, I think tabs make dual window file managers obsolete. You can do anything with tabs you can do with extra windows, and they're also more compact and flexible. FC tab implementation is very good, BTW. You can choose to close all non-locked tabs on closing FC, a feaure which some FM's inexplicably omit.
Try it, I think you'll like it!
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Dec 21, 2013)
A must have filetool, LOVE it.
Keep up the good work.
Reviewing XE Release 641 Beta (Nov 24, 2013)
Over the years, I have tried just about every shell out here, including this one and Total Commander registered. It is a decent program but support and features are an issue. I found DirOpus by GPSoft, an Australian company, works like no other. DirOpus is well worth a look. Not free but gives you a 60 day trial to make sure it works for you. Support is outstanding and I have NEVER had an issue with this program.
Reviewing XE Release 641 Beta (Nov 22, 2013)
This is my fav filetool, used it for a long time now, never had a single issue with it,
it packs all you need for managing you files.
Runs fine on win 8.1 64bit.
Do not listen to the trolls and idiots, there is no virus, malware or addware in this program, some people just don't have a life.
This new version is awesome!
Nice job, please keep going to improve it!
What does XE mean here in the title?
The latest link to the program is downloading the help file Downloading FreeCommander_chm.zip ?