freeCommander is a dual-panel file explorer with many features. In addition to the standard file management features, it can be used to compare directories, display folder sizes, synchronize folders and more. The program can also open/create ZIp and CAB files, and open RAR files as well as search inside those archives. You can set view filters, create folder list (for printing), change file attributes, launch a command prompt, take a desktop screenshot and more.
- Changed: The option "Drive hint visibility" changed to "Show drive hint"
- Changed: Status bar height min value changed to 10
- Changed: Synchronize folders - empty folders are showed in the file list now
- Changed: Tree option "Show floppy drives (A:,B:)" removed. The drives option "Don't show floppy drives" is valid for the tree too
- Changed: Using slash char for creating folders is allowed now (works the same way as with backslash)
- Changed: Layout restore with the option 'Close not locked tabs' or 'Keep all tabs' - now the tabs are merged and not added
- Implemented: For detail view if horizontal scrollbar is not visible: using of left/right arrow for fast navigation to top/bottom of the list
- Implemented: %ActivSel% and other variables are available in the DOS command line http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5571
- Implemented: New option added for drives bar - "Use large images"
- Implemented: Right click on version info in about box shows "Copy" popup menu
- Implemented: Settings -> Select items -> Colors - new options for hot item added
- Implemented: Quick starter - shortcuts for repository activating added: Ctrl+1,...,Ctrl+0
- Implemented: New actions for quick starter opening added
- Implemented: Using file/folder colors for selected items (Windows colors)
- Implemented: Dot in the extension column is controlled by ShowExtensionWithDot=1
- Implemented: Plain view button in the "Delete" dialog http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5745
- Implemented: Size of the MD5-Checksum dialog is saved now
- Implemented: Option to define in the freecommander.ini if last used path of each tab (locked too) should be restored - TabRestoreLastPathForAll=1
- Implemented: Option to define in the freecommander.ini for changing the splitting 25/75 - SplitterSwitchSmall=25
- Implemented: Layouts
- Implemented: DOS box can be opened with UNC path http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5655
- Implemented: Settings for defining quick viewer size by file type (only for "One viewer per panel" and vertical orientation of the main splitter)
- Implemented: Warning message if files to compare are not the same type http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5922
- Implemented: New option for the tab property added: Use as base folder for the tree
- Implemented: Option to disable MD5 file association can be defined in the freecommander.ini [Form] section: Md5VerifyUseFC=0
- Implemented: New option for active tab color in the inactive panel added
- Implemented: New options for tab properties; Remove all colors; Always use the colors - for active tab too
- Implemented: New option for drives added: "Calculate free space for network drives too - can be very slow"
- Implemented: New option - color for inactive file container tab added
- Implemented: New viewer option "Use IrfanView/XnView to load images"
- Implemented: Operations for MTP devices (Win7, Win8)
- Implemented: Click on empty tab area activate the panel
- Implemented: New action added "File - New item"
- Implemented: System context menu for favorites
- Implemented: Keyboard shortcut to copy MD5 sum to clipboard
- Implemented: Option 'ThumbsNoClipCaption' to define in the [Form] section. The value 1 draws caption without clipping. The user must self increase Y spacing
- Implemented: New search option "Use for full subfolder path (otherwise only for subfolder name)"
- Implemented: New properties to favorites added - sort and view type
- Implemented: Customize toolbars dialog - 'Apply' button added
- Implemented: New options for adding folder paths in the search dialog
- Implemented: Search dialog - in 'File name' field you can define filters too (folder, timestamp, size)
- Implemented: "Auto save current layout" option for layouts - the selected layout is automatically saved on layout change and program end
- Implemented: New command line parameters: -layout= and -aslayout=
- -layout=asExplorer - layout with the name "asExplorer" will be loaded on program start
- -aslayout="as Explorer" - layout with the name "as Explorer" will be loaded on program start and "Auto save current layout" option activated
- Implemented: Internal UNRAR plugin
- Implemented: About dialog shows platform for both 32 and 64 bit
- Implemented: Text in version info field in about dialog is selectable now
- Many bugs fixed
Reviewing XE 2015 Build 685 (Feb 3, 2015)
An excellent program which is improved at every new version. No doubt one of the best.
I keep using it since long ago because of its flexibility and excellent results.
Reviewing XE 2015 Release 680 Beta (Nov 14, 2014)
While FreeCommander might be the best non-payware OFM on Windows, it lacks the user experience of its payware compatitors. The UI looks just cheap.
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Mar 11, 2014)
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Feb 17, 2014)
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Dec 25, 2013)
While not perfect, I think FC is the best out there. It's amazing how many file managers there are, and even more amazing how many shortcomings they have. Many of them simply do not work in an X64 environment, some do not work with external copy programs such as Teracopy, some have garish colors that make your eyes bleed, some have tiny tool bar icons which you can neither see nor adjust. FC is not really X64 compatible, but uses a satisfactory transparent workaround. I especially like the flexibility of FC, and I use single window and a tree (Explorer style). Personally, I think tabs make dual window file managers obsolete. You can do anything with tabs you can do with extra windows, and they're also more compact and flexible. FC tab implementation is very good, BTW. You can choose to close all non-locked tabs on closing FC, a feaure which some FM's inexplicably omit.
Try it, I think you'll like it!
This new version is awesome!
Nice job, please keep going to improve it!
What does XE mean here in the title?
The latest link to the program is downloading the help file Downloading FreeCommander_chm.zip ?