freeCommander is a dual-panel file explorer with many features. In addition to the standard file management features, it can be used to compare directories, display folder sizes, synchronize folders and more. The program can also open/create ZIp and CAB files, and open RAR files as well as search inside those archives. You can set view filters, create folder list (for printing), change file attributes, launch a command prompt, take a desktop screenshot and more.
- Implemented for detail view if horizontal scrollbar is not visible: using of left/right arrow for fast navigation to top/bottom of the list
- Implemented: %ActivSel% and other variables are available in the DOS command line http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5571
- Implemented: new option added for drives bar - "Use large images"
- Implemented: Right click on version info in about box shows "Copy" popup menu
- Implemented: Settings - Select items - Colors for hot item; new options added
- Implemented: Quick starter - shortcuts for repository activating added: Ctrl+1,...,Ctrl+0
- Implemented: New actions for quick starter opening added
- Implemented: Using file/folder colors for selected items (Windows colors)
- Implemented: Dot in the extension column is controlled by ShowExtensionWithDot=1
- Implemented: Plain view button in the "Delete" dialog http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5745
- Implemented: Size of the MD5-Checksum dialog is saved now
- Implemented: Option to define in the freecommander.ini if last used path of each tab (locked too) should be restored - TabRestoreLastPathForAll=1
- Implemented: Option to define in the freecommander.ini for changing the splitting 25/75 - SplitterSwitchSmall=25
- Implemented: Layouts
- Implemented: DOS box can be opened with UNC path http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5655
- Implemented: Settings for defining quick viewer size by file type (only for "One viewer per panel" and vertical orientation of the main splitter)
- Implemented: Warning message if files to compare are not the same type http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5922
- Implemented: New option for the tab property added: Use as base folder for the tree
- Implemented: Option to disable MD5 file association can be defined in the freecommander.ini [Form] section: Md5VerifyUseFC=0
- Implemented: Main form size and location is saved with layout
- Implemented: New option for active tab color in the inactive panel added
- Implemented: New options for tab properties; Remove all colors; Always use the colors - for active tab too
- Implemented: New option for drives added: "Calculate free space for network drives too - can be very slow"
- Implemented: New option - color for inactive file container tab added
- Implemented: New viewer option "Use IrfanView/XnView to load images"
- Many bugs fixed
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Mar 11, 2014)
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Feb 17, 2014)
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Dec 25, 2013)
While not perfect, I think FC is the best out there. It's amazing how many file managers there are, and even more amazing how many shortcomings they have. Many of them simply do not work in an X64 environment, some do not work with external copy programs such as Teracopy, some have garish colors that make your eyes bleed, some have tiny tool bar icons which you can neither see nor adjust. FC is not really X64 compatible, but uses a satisfactory transparent workaround. I especially like the flexibility of FC, and I use single window and a tree (Explorer style). Personally, I think tabs make dual window file managers obsolete. You can do anything with tabs you can do with extra windows, and they're also more compact and flexible. FC tab implementation is very good, BTW. You can choose to close all non-locked tabs on closing FC, a feaure which some FM's inexplicably omit.
Try it, I think you'll like it!
Reviewing XE 2014 Release 650 (Dec 21, 2013)
A must have filetool, LOVE it.
Keep up the good work.
Reviewing XE Release 641 Beta (Nov 24, 2013)
Over the years, I have tried just about every shell out here, including this one and Total Commander registered. It is a decent program but support and features are an issue. I found DirOpus by GPSoft, an Australian company, works like no other. DirOpus is well worth a look. Not free but gives you a 60 day trial to make sure it works for you. Support is outstanding and I have NEVER had an issue with this program.
This new version is awesome!
Nice job, please keep going to improve it!
What does XE mean here in the title?
The latest link to the program is downloading the help file Downloading FreeCommander_chm.zip ?