MobaXterm is an enhanced terminal with an X server and a set of Unix commands (GNU/Cygwin) packaged in a single portable exe file. MobaXterm includes a great multitab native Windows terminal, a new X server based on X.Org for easily export your Unix/Linux display and a lot of new GNU Unix commands. You can also use some of the free plugins for extending MobaXterm capabilities.
- New feature: added support for the new "Ubuntu Bash on Windows" feature (introduced in latest Windows 10 builds). In "Shell" sessions, you can choose between native Bash, Cmd, Powershell and "Ubuntu bash"
- New feature: added terminal activity tracking: icon of terminal tab is displayed with a blue dot if some activity is detected
- New feature: added terminal modification tracking: title of inactive terminal tab is displayed using blue color if something occured in the terminal
- New feature: added terminal disconnection tracking: title of inactive terminal tab is displayed using red color if session has been disconnected
- New feature: added a new experimental setting in the "File" session type, which allows you to open any file/folder directly into MobaXterm tabbed interface
- New feature: you can now specify a start up macro for SSH, Telnet, RSH, Mosh, Serial (COM) and Shell sessions
- New feature: you can now specify pattern conditions in macros (wait for a pattern before following up with macro execution)
- New feature: added new browser session setting which allows to emulate older IE versions, from IE7 to IE11
- Improvement: you can now specify the COM port to use for serial connection at session start (useful if you use a USB/COM adapter which can be attached to random COM ports numbers)
- Improvement: enhanced macro editor: you can now type some text directly into the macro editor instead of editing each keystroke
- Improvement: you can now use the following variables in macros: $MobaDisplay and $MobaIP
- Improvement: terminal syntax highlighting feature (a.k.a. keyword coloration) is no more tagged as "experimental"
- Improvement: enhanced terminal speed when syntax highlighting is enabled: the terminal no longer suffer from slower speed when syntax highlighting is active
- Improvement: added a new "Byobu" terminal type in sessions which is compatible with Byobu escape sequences (Ctrl+Fn and Shift+Fn keys)
- Improvement: added "R" programming language in MobaTextEditor syntax list
- Improvement: when you save terminal output to file, the file format you choose (RTF or TXT) is now saved
- Improvement: added /dev/shm directory structure (especially useful in order to use Ansible on Windows with MobaXterm)
- Improvement: added a new "Duplicate macro" feature for existing macros
- Improvement: enhanced saving speed when dealing with huge terminal output
- Improvement: added a new "Hide toolbar" button in detached windows
- Improvement: added a refresh feature for local folders for FTP/SFTP sessions, by pressing "F5" key
- Improvement: implemented 2 undocumented settings "AllowBlinking" and "CtrlAltIsAltGr" ( more info on http://blog.mobatek.net )
- Improvement: MobaXterm is now displayed on the proper taskbar with multiple monitors
- Improvement: when saving huge terminal output, a prompt now allows you to choose whether to limit the number of lines to save
- Improvement: added the iperf3 tool in the CygUtils plugin
- Improvement: updated the "Default (OK/warning/error keywords)" terminal syntax highlighting with new patterns detection
- Improvement: updated the "Unix shell script" terminal syntax highlighting with new patterns detection
- Improvement: added new manual INI setting "AllowLegacyAlgos" under the "SSH" section (set to "0" by default), which allows to activate legacy protocols and keys for SSH client
- Improvement: improved Ctrl+C and arrows handling in Dos and PowerShell sessions
- Improvement: added basic keywords coloration (Ok/warning/error) as default global setting
- Bug fix: TFTP server (embedded TFTP daemon) can now handle folders structure in order to upload/upload files
- Bug fix: corrected typo in syntax highlighting: the keyword "successful" is now properly detected
- Bug fix: added Windows path environment variable to RDP sessions for proper Smartcards authentication
- Bug fix: the "SSH-browser" label in MobaXterm global settings was not displayed entirely
- Bug fix: commandline SSH client was missing support for GSSAPI authentication in previous version
- Bug fix: the /registry symlink was incorrect on some Windows systems
- Bug fix: terminal scrollback was erased when telnet or rlogin sessions were reconnected
- Bug fix: fixed libraries incompatibilities with the "findutils" package downloaded using "apt-get"
- Bug fix: a "reconnection message" was displayed on CMD or POWERSHELL sessions types, even if the setting was unchecked
- Bug fix: "Quick search" menu was displayed in the wrong place when sidebar was docked to the right
- Bug fix: with Pro Edition, the separation line was shown even if it was unchecked in global settings
- Bug fix: corrected a freeze issue in MultiExec mode, when connecting several SSH sessions to the same host and using Keyboard-interactive authentication
- Bug fix: removed an error message when starting a beta version with Compact mode enabled
- Bug fix: removed an error message when starting a Powershell session with a command and no home folder specified
- Bug fix: fixed file access rights issues in HOME folder
Reviewing 7.1 (Apr 14, 2014)
Excellent tool for SSH, SCP, SFTP, RDP connections with an embedded X11 server!
MobaXterm is really convenient, especially when you have multiple SSH servers to reach, files to transfer and graphical applications to launch remotely, and when you care about security.
Reviewing 6.0 (Oct 13, 2012)
quite simply. Brilliant.
Attractive to look at (and configurable)
Fast to load and portable
Low memory usage
Incredibly feature rich
Supports plugins (and there are several)
Actively developed (unlike Putty)
and 100% free.
Just an amazing bit of software
Reviewing 6.0 (Oct 11, 2012)
Just brilliant! Discovered v5.1 and never looked back. All my needs in one place. Can't ask for anything better. Kudos to the author.
Reviewing 3.0 (Aug 23, 2010)
The best alternative to Exceed, Xming or PuTTY : this program does everything in a small portable executable: X server, telnet, SSH, graphical SFTP...
I can't imagine connecting to my remote Linux server using another program.
A must have!!
No comments yet