MobaXterm is an enhanced terminal with an X server and a set of Unix commands (GNU/Cygwin) packaged in a single portable exe file. MobaXterm includes a great multitab native Windows terminal, a new X server based on X.Org for easily export your Unix/Linux display and a lot of new GNU Unix commands. You can also use some of the free plugins for extending MobaXterm capabilities.
- New feature: MobaXterm is now able to create shared credentials for multiple sessions
- Improvement: SSH, telnet, rlogin and serial sessions are now powered by a faster native Windows engine based on the efficient PuTTY tool by Simon Tatham
- New feature: Added "MobaKeyGen": a graphical SSH keys generator based on the great "PuTTYgen" tool by Simon Tatham
- Improvement: Default X server is now a native Windows port of Xorg with no wrapper (compiled using MinGW)
- Improvement: The embedded terminal is now based on a plain PuTTY engine
- Improvement: Re-organized session settings for better usability
- Improvement: MobaXterm is now able to retrieve/store SSH password, even in "keyboard-interactive" mode
- New feature: Dragging using Alt+drag performs a rectangular selection
- New feature: Right-click menu now allows to reconfigure many options on the current terminal for the current running session
- New feature: Added a "home page" at MobaXterm startup with recent sessions, a quick search bar and a button to start a new terminal. You can disable this home page from the global settings and choose to start a local terminal instead
- Improvement: New keyboard configurations added
- Improvement: SFTP browser now works in keyboard interactive mode
- Improvement: Double-click selection in the terminal is now smarter when determining if a character is a separator or not
- Improvement: Local Unix utilities based on Cygwin are now in a separate plugin file. If you only need basic MobaXterm features like SSH, X11, Rlogin, Telnet, Serial or RDP, you do not need this plugin
- Improvement: MobaXterm startup speed has been improved
- Improvement: Banner message is now adapted to the session you launched. For SSH sessions, it displays some useful information about X11-forwarding, DISPLAY, SFTP browser and compression features
- Improvement: Added new proxy settings for SSH connections
- Improvement: Added some new charsets for remote sessions
- Improvement: Better SSH keys support (OpenSSH / PuTTY / SSH.com types are seamlessly managed)
- New feature: Added some cool puzzle games from Simon Tatham
- New feature: You can now select a terminal size (number of rows/columns) and keep it while resizing MobaXterm by increasing/decreasing font size
- Improvement: Added new SSH KEX algorithms for the SFTP browser (DH_GROUP_EXCHANGE256, RSA1024_SHA1, RSA2048_SHA256, GSS_GROUP_EXCHANGE, GSS_GROUP, GSS_GROUP_14)
- New feature: Added uptime, shred, truncate, nl, link, free, factor, compress, count, paste, nc (netcat) and host tools (thanks to Toybox: http://landley.net/toybox/ )
- Improvement: Log file name is now automatically based on the session protocol, remote host, username and date/time
- New feature: You can now choose disable completely OpenGL rendering support in X11 server
- Improvement: Updated Cygwin version to version 2.0.4 in CygUtils plugin
- Bug fix: Corrected a bug with libopenssl, grep and bash update from apt-get
- Bug fix: Prevented Windows taskbar from being raised with fullscreen VNC sessions
- Improvement: Improved CMD sessions by using the "winpty" tool: Ctrl+C and TAB completion should work on any environment now
- New feature: Added Powershell to the "Local terminal" session type (experimental)
- New feature: Added TWM window manager as an option for X11 sessions
- Improvement: Added a Paste button on the MultiExec top toolbar
- New feature: Added a new tool entry in order to start a CMD window as admin
- Improvement: Added an explanation message when sub processes fail to start because of a group policy
- Bug fix: Corrected some issues when MobaXterm is installed in a Windows path containing unicode characters
- Bug fix: Corrected an issue with tab integration of XDMCP sessions
- Bug fix: Corrected an issue with tabs numbering when a VNC session was started but the remote host did not exist
- Bug fix: Prevented Windows taskbar from being raised with fullscreen RDP sessions
- Bug fix: Desktop shortcuts did not work on some Windows version because of truncated command line
- Bug fix: fixed a bug with PuTTY sessions import at first start
- Bug fix: Prevented MobaXterm slash directory from being set to the root of a drive or to a directory with other programs already present
- Bug fix: Corrected some focus issues in RDP sessions
Reviewing 7.1 (Apr 14, 2014)
Excellent tool for SSH, SCP, SFTP, RDP connections with an embedded X11 server!
MobaXterm is really convenient, especially when you have multiple SSH servers to reach, files to transfer and graphical applications to launch remotely, and when you care about security.
Reviewing 6.0 (Oct 13, 2012)
quite simply. Brilliant.
Attractive to look at (and configurable)
Fast to load and portable
Low memory usage
Incredibly feature rich
Supports plugins (and there are several)
Actively developed (unlike Putty)
and 100% free.
Just an amazing bit of software
Reviewing 6.0 (Oct 11, 2012)
Just brilliant! Discovered v5.1 and never looked back. All my needs in one place. Can't ask for anything better. Kudos to the author.
Reviewing 3.0 (Aug 23, 2010)
The best alternative to Exceed, Xming or PuTTY : this program does everything in a small portable executable: X server, telnet, SSH, graphical SFTP...
I can't imagine connecting to my remote Linux server using another program.
A must have!!
No comments yet