Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for installation and shell-integration related functionality.
Paint.NET is freeware, but the team is accepting donations here.
- New: The canvas may now be scrolled past the edge of the image (aka "overscroll")
- New: When holding the spacebar, you may scroll using the keyboard arrow keys (in addition to click-and-drag panning). Holding Ctrl will scroll at 10x the rate
- Improved: The rate of auto-scrolling, which triggers when the mouse is at the canvas edge and a mouse button is being held down, has been improved and is based on time instead of frames
- Improved: Fixed Size selection drawing now defaults to 400x300 pixels instead of 4x3 inches
- Improved: Tooltips for Custom Shapes now include their file system location
- Improved: Edit->Invert Selection should perform much faster when used with unmodified selections from the Magic Wand tool
- Improved: When running within VMWare, "Hardware accelerated rendering" is disabled by default (Microsoft's WARP is faster than VMWare's D3D emulation)
- Fixed: Erratic brush/pencil drawing when running within VMWare (this is caused by a bug in Win32's GetMouseMovePointsEx API, and is not actually limited to VMWare)
- Fixed: Color Picker tool could crash if used at the bottom of the image, as reported at http://forums.getpai...-screen-update/
- Fixed: There was a glitch in the Gradient tool's rendering when dx was equal to dy, as reported at http://forums.getpai...ion-and-length/
- Fixed: The Layers window would sometimes auto-scroll the active layer to the bottom when performing certain operations, as reported at http://forums.getpai...or-duplicating/
- Fixed some mouse cursor glitches when using panning using the spacebar
- Fixed many glitches and a few crashes in the image size dialogs (File->New, Image->Resize, Image->Canvas Size)
- Fixed a problem with inconsinstently skipped input when using the arrow keys to move tool handles, as reported at http://forums.getpai...ction-keys-bug/
- Fixed: Custom Shapes did not always have the correct bounding box, and would have weird behavior as a result
- Fixed: Line/Curve handles were unusable for up to 500ms after adjusting properties in the toolbar
- Fixed some crashes and soft hangs in the Save Configuration dialog
- Fixed a blemish at the top of the main window when Windows is set to 200% DPI
- Fixed: There were some precision bugs with IndirectUI sliders that would cause them to get "stuck" at certain values (mostly affects effect plugins)
- Improved: IndirectUI's Angle Chooser control now supports the DecimalPlaces property (for plugins)
- Improved: IndirectUI's Slider controls now support all-negative ranges (e.g. [-200, -20])
Reviewing 4.4.5442 Beta (Nov 26, 2014)
I have been using Paint.Net for years now. I have rolled it out to over 1000 users in our company with some extra addons, and it's been great. No hassles, no crashes and with a great modding community, there really is not much it cannot do. Keep up the great work !
4.5 / 5 stars from me, as it's true the menu couild use a little work. Still love it though.
Reviewing 4.0.5278 Beta (Jun 16, 2014)
5 stars. If you're still using XP give yourself 1 star, not this great app.
Reviewing 4.0.5268 Beta (Jun 6, 2014)
Editor is quite capable. Has some advanced functions, but it's useful only if you need them - rating 7/10.
Stil needs more attention for basic functionality user confort - rating 3/10.
Dependency on .NET 4.5.2 limits editor for Windows 7+ only.
Reviewing 4.0.5268 Beta (Jun 6, 2014)
Not work on XP
Reviewing 4.0 Beta Build 5168 (Mar 12, 2014)
No comments yet