Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later. This allows you to remove traces of your Internet or PC activities, as well as reverse any changes to your Favorites, home page, registry and more. Even files that were downloaded during a sandbox session will be wiped after the sandbox is cleared. The program runs in the system tray and if you want to start a sandboxed session, simply launch your browser, or any other program via the tray icon, rather than the regular way.
- There is a new EULA (license.txt)
- Fixed Chrome 37/38 crash error C0000008 (invalid handle)
- Fixed Chrome 38-64 hang (web page unresponsive)
- Fixed Chrome hang when printing to PDF
- Browsers can now access Internet when using McAfee SaaS
- Fixed Silverlight crash in Win 8.1 (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=18513)
- Fixed Excel crash when copying large amounts of data
- Sandboxie now has language support for Farsi (Persian)
- The auto-update feature only checked the next update time (sandbox.ini setting SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck) 1 time when SbieCtrl.exe was started. If SbieCtrl.exe was kept running, it would never check the update time again
- Several large memory leaks (reported by Dr. Larry Pepper et al.) have been fixed. http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18412
- ASLR is now enabled for SbieDll.dll 32 bit (64 bit will come later)
- OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\FontCachePort is now in templates.ini as a default. Until now, this was a suggested work-around for some Chrome 37 problems
- Added hook for GetProcessImageFileName/NtQueryInformationProcess so it now returns the sandboxed path
- Improvements to the Dutch language text
- The SbieSvc startup time has been increased from 5 seconds to 15 seconds to eliminate the following sequence of startup errors:
- Malware DarkComet is using a quirk in Windows to put up a MessageBox that does not have the sandboxed yellow window border. This poses no security risk, but to prevent user concern, this has been fixed
- Special flag added to OpenWinClass to restore Buster Sandbox Analyzer (BSA) message logging. /IgnoreUIPI allows low integrity sandboxed processes to send WM_COPYDATA msgs to windows in higher integrity processes
- Fixed Sandboxed cmd.exe crash if window title > 256 chars. (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19089)
- Fixed rare BSOD http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19076&p=101687
- Fixed kernel memory leak in SandboxieCrypto http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15820
- The combined installer SandboxieInstall.exe now checks for the VC Redistributables DLLs Sandboxie requires. If they are not up to date (10.0.40219.325), the installer will download and install the VC Redist. from sandboxie.com
Reviewing 4.10 (May 23, 2014)
the 4.04 version is better this new one is more for windows 8.1
Reviewing 4.08 (Jan 29, 2014)
great program. works well.
Reviewing 3.74 (Oct 24, 2012)
@Hall9000 My preferred program to avoid problems you described is Shadow Defender. Although not free it more than makes up for the cost by being low maintenance. Deep Freeze was my favorite but they have an annual fee now. The "free" programs will "eat up" your disk space and some change your MBR. Although Shadow Defender does take up a small amount they seem to have some algorithm that prevents disk usage from becoming excessive. Back to Sandboxie ... I'm glad I paid to have use of all its features and can't imagine being without it. One minor problem is it seems to cause my explorer to crash every now and then when I try to invoke a sandbox on my 64-bit system (Win 7). Perhaps a conflict with one of the other utilities/drivers/programs running in the background. I can have a few others running but when I get ready to run a new instance of Firefox in a sandbox I get a message that explorer has crashed and lose all my open explorer windows. Everything else stays open but the explorers that were open are all gone and 1 or 2 utility programs also are gone (one is to show current month calendar when I hover mouse cursor over clock). Not a major problem for me but a bit annoying.
Reviewing 3.64 (Feb 6, 2012)
Well maintained. My only complaint is the compatibility wizard, which apparently treats orphaned registry entries of uninstalled security software as legitimate. I suppose if I do some digging through the registry I can find those entries and delete them. Nonetheless....
Reviewing 3.64 (Feb 6, 2012)
@Hall9000 - if your friend isn't very tech savvy he might be better off with a prog like Deepfreeze from Faronics ... very low maintenance and quick learning curve or Returnil ... DF would be easier to setup.
No comments yet