SABnzbd is a binary newsgrabber written in Python, server-oriented using a web-interface. The active successor of the abandoned SABnzbd project. It simplifies the process of downloading from Usenet dramatically, thanks to its friendly web-based user interface and advanced built-in post-processing options that automatically verify, repair, extract and clean up posts downloaded from Usenet. It also has a fully customizable user interface, and offers a complete API for third-party applications to hook into.
- Login via HTML-form instead of basic authentication
- Glitter now offers Compact and Tabbed layouts (similar to old Classic skin)
- Notification scripts for custom notification services
- Enable upload of multiple NZBs from the UI
- Performance improvements of download process
- Added delayed download feature (for when your Usenet is behind the indexers)
- Repair blocks are added prospectively during download when needed (reducing extra par2 verification runs)
- Prevent action of password managers on Server page
- Faster initial connections to servers with multiple IP-addresses (HappyEyeBalls)
- Support of more Rating headers (for indexers that support it)
- Glitter shows progress notifications for larger operations
- Log files are now anonymized automatically, for easier posting on public websites
- Added censored INI file to log download
- Can now download zipped NZB files from indexer
- New SABnzbd logo
- Job password is now a separate field and not included in the job-title anymore
- Move some seldom used options to Special
- Now requires Python 2.7 (2.6 no longer supported)
- If filename occurs twice in NZB, only larger file is added
- Display days when ETA is above 24h
- API information now uses day/hour/min/sec notation when ETA above 24h
- Bump self-signed certificate to sha256 (only for newly created)
- Fix errors when saving job files to disk
- Prevent "lock" errors in the History database
- Restore support for multi-volume 7zip files
- Restore scanning for passwords after NZB name edit
- Fix portable.cmd
- Fix for stalling download at 99% (when using prospective downloading)
- Fix problem with deleting files in NZB details view
- Prevent old shutdown-page from stopping a new SABnzbd instance
- Prevent watched folder scan crash on invalid file names
- Fix XSS vulnerability on OSX and Unix**
Reviewing 0.6.5 (Jun 16, 2011)
The premier binary downloader, especially when used with NZBMatrix and BinSearch.
This completely renders products like NewsLeecher and Grabit obsolete. It's smaller, faster, manages its threads better, has no bulky, cumbersome and unstable databases, is cross platform, considerably more bug free than NewsLeecher ever could be and in general is a better product in every way.
I switched from Grabit to NewsLeecher and switched from NewsLeecher to this and this completely free product upstages the paid software.
Reviewing 0.6.4 (Jun 13, 2011)
3 years later and way better. :)
Reviewing 0.5.5 (Nov 12, 2010)
Great product - makes downloading newsgroup files a breeze and has a lot of features.
Reviewing 0.4.0 Beta 4 (Jun 1, 2010)
I can't believe SABnzbd isn't getting a 5 star rating
Here are the choices for the best newsreaders on windows:
Newsleecher: Expensive, bloated, loaded with armadillo anti-piracy crap, but the best solution for reading headers for groups
Alt.binz: awesome clint, but 15 EUR to buy; latest version not available to try (must use older version for trial). Does NOT join .001 or RAR files that have no par file; updated once prolly every 2 months
SABnzbd - open source, free, updated frequently, and works with a web interface. Plugin support is aplenty + works with .001 + RAR files with no accompanying PAR file for anime goodness.
Reviewing 0.4.0 Beta 4 (May 9, 2008)
Pretty cool though some function dont work at all yet.
Too bad it is Windows only...
No comments yet