FreeFixer is a general purpose removal tool which will help you to delete potentially unwanted software, such as adware, spyware, trojans, viruses and worms. FreeFixer works by scanning a large number of locations where unwanted software has a known record of appearing or leaving traces. The scan locations include the programs that run on your computer, the programs that starts when you reboot your computer, your browser's plug-ins, your home page setting, etc.
- FreeFixer now scans and repairs Internet shortcuts on the Start Menu, Quick Launch bar, the desktop, etc
- The Start Menu Internet shortcuts plugin now displays the browser icons in the scan result
- FreeFixer now encodes the plain text log file in UTF-8. An UTF-8 byte order mark has been added in the beginning of the log
- Disabled the Csrss.exe's virtual memory scan on Windows 8.1, since csrss.exe is a protected process since Windows 8.1
- Fixed many minor issues related to running FreeFixer on Windows 8.1
- Increased contrast between links and the background in FreeFixer's user interface. This change has been made to increase readability for visually impaired users. This change has also been made on the freefixer.com web site
- Fixed race condition bug in FreeFixer's initialization code that could result in FreeFixer displaying a blank dialog with white background
- Fixed bug where the Scheduled Tasks plugin halted its scan when it could not retrieve information about one of the tasks. The failing tasks are now tagged as "failed to get task info" in the scan result
- Fixed bug where the scan of Start Menu Internet shortcuts was interrupted if one of the browser's registry configuration under HKCU/HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet was incomplete
- Removed the red background gradient
Reviewing 1.06 (Sep 26, 2013)
# Testing Only #
Took a snapshot (Rollback Rx) before downloading & testing.
-Easily made portable.
-## Disabled my Antivirus & closed all windows ##
-@Launch you have an option to D/load the manual. (Up to You)
-Checked what lies under all the Tabs
-Ran the Scan. Took about 5mins.
I like the fact ONE of the checks it runs is against
Newly Generated & Modified files. (Warns it may take a while).
I also like the way it presents the Scan "Results". Clearly,
Color Coded, & The full path.
What I Don't like Is the fact there is NO huge Warning in RED
above the results. There is the "bold" sentence in the top paragraph
which should be above the FIX button In a larger "case" & in Red.
This is not the PRO version, It dosn't quarantine any of the files.
IF.. I had clicked "Fix". I would NOT have a working system.
Use at your OWN discretion. Even Advanced users should treble check..!!
If you've GOT to have a play, Have a "BEFORE" Disk image handy. I don't
think system restore would be good enough. (I certainly wouldn't rely on it).
This app will not be part of my ToolBox. Even for Analysis.
Docked a star for NO "In your Face" Warning.!! Good but dangerous. 4*
Reviewing 1.05 (Jul 13, 2013)
Seems to be pretty good at what it needs to do. I'm not going to mark it down because of the damage it could do in inexperienced hands. In my mind if an idiot screws up their PC using this, it's their fault - not the program's. Tools like this don't belong in the hands of idiots - and certainly shouldn't be marked down if they screwed up.
To my mind, though, a tool like this needs to be available in a portable form. You'd only ever use it when the system is probably infected - and in that condition it will be impossible to install this.
Reviewing 1.03 (Feb 12, 2013)
As an I.T. person, I don't recommend this tool. The results are ambiguous at best. Results that it recommends to be removed shouldn't be and many of them are not commented on as to why.
Very destructive to a system if you know not what you are doing.
HIGHLY recommend either creating a system restore or other form of system back up prior to using this tool.
I do see hope for something like this. Recovery options for this tool are high recommended.
Reviewing 1.02 (Feb 4, 2013)
Can totally bugger your PC up & not for new users so take care & ideally have an image of C:\ as you always should have & often.
Reviewing 1.01 (Jan 16, 2013)
Agree with CyberDoc999 needs to be used with care & only if you know what you are doing ~
I enjoyed using this tool quite a lot. I recommended it to some of my friends and they liked it too.