SideSlide is an advanced, portable, unobtrusive, dockable, skinnable, instantly accessible, highly configurable Desktop Extension on Steroids! Clean desktop clutter and make your computer friendlier and faster than ever before. With unique use of containers and various innovative features, SideSlide lets you get instant access to everything you have and much more. The program respects your system and keeps all of its configuration files in a single folder.
Dock and hide SideSlide to any screen edge; browse through your favorite RSS news feeds, keep shortcuts to files, folders and URLs you frequently visit; execute various commands quicker than ever; add multiple notes; multiple, sizable, pictures; schedule reminders; save web snippets and more. Customize it to emphasize the things you use the most and make more information accessible without occupying precious screen space. By using containers you can shrink and fold, downloading ready-made containers from an online library, linking containers to actual folders on disk, detaching containers from the workspace to claim additional space, various ways of launching multiple shortcuts at once, shortcut tags, zooming in and out of shortcuts, news feed reader, keyboard navigation, different skins, different size pictures, picture containers and colored notes; SideSlide is designed to make a great deal of content instantly accessible. SideSlide is portable and you can use it from your USB drive.
- Nicer automatic label formatting when adding URL shortcuts to top level domains ('http://', 'www.' and '.com' are stripped from the label | New >> Web URL)
- Workspace titlebar is no longer displayed using bold font, and indicates (lighter color) whether the workspace is in focus or not
- The Floating Toolbar (left click an empty space to quickly create different objects in the workspace) now appears slightly to the side of the mouse pointer and not directly below it
- Connection Proxy setting is now taken directly from Internet Explorer ('Set Proxy' under the Setting Dialog has been removed)
- New 'File not found' icons
- Maximizing the workspace will no longer cover the Windows Taskbar area
- New command under the Position menu: Maximize/Restore (the menu at the top right corner of workspace)
- The tooltip for shortcuts and containers is no longer displayed when the workspace is not in focus (use the Grab Focus option if you want to activate the workspace using the mouse without clicking it)
- Suspend Auto-Collapse setting is saved and restored when the program starts
- RSS icon is not displayed on program startup when loading RSS containers unless the 'Load on Startup' option is selected
- Pressing the [Esc] key will now firstly unselect containers and shortcuts then dock the workspace
- Misc. minor changes
- Number of selected shortcuts disappeared after refreshing RSS containers
- Previously selected shortcut which was no longer selected was re-selected after shrinking back containers
- Number of selected shortcuts remained visible after removing shortcuts
- Number of selected shortcuts was not shown when dragging shortcuts to containers or links from Explorer
- Impossible to create folder and note containers when using the "Draw to Create" setting
- Fixed crash when trying to resize or move an invalid picture
- Fixed a rare crash when exiting the program
- Fixed high CPU usage on some machines when starting shortcuts from detached containers while the On Top setting is disabled (thanks Garvin!)
- Workspace collapsed after starting a shortcut and the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked
- Workspace brought back into focus after launching a shortcut when undocked or the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked
- Expanding a container when the Floating Toolbar was still visible could have prevented the workspace from collapsing properly
- Wrong label displayed when editing RSS search terms
- Workspace occasionally collapsed unintentionally when expanding containers
- Keyboard didn't work in the workspace when there were shortcuts selected and the On Top setting was disabled
- The Shortcut Mini-Toolbar remained visible after pressing Ctrl+U to unselect shortcuts
Reviewing 3.0.00 Beta 2 (Aug 5, 2008)
To the reviewer below: I'm keeping it at the bottom of my screen and I can see none of the problems you mention...The previous version couldn't stay there at all, but with the latest I have no problem.
It is a very interesting app. I really like the concept of keeping everything inside containers. Also, that I can double-click a container and start all of the shortcuts inside together. It has many features and not that great of a help file (at least for now) so it takes a bit of learning to figure it out.
Reviewing 3.0.00 Beta 2 (Aug 4, 2008)
Seems to work ok but I fail to see much functional advantage.
Also it does some weird (and annoying) things such as assumes windows taskbar at bottom and jumps out of the tray every time the screen gets a refresh, etc. etc. These things alone were enough to make me remove it after 10 mins.
Like the others said... if you use sTabLauncher, Winbar, ObjectDesk, Aston, Talisman this seems totally pointless (and looks ordinary compared to some of those).
Reviewing 2.4.00b (Apr 19, 2008)
If you use Stardock Object Desktop leave this alone. It has a great deal of options and is very flexable. With Stardock it's redundent.
Reviewing 2.3.00b (Mar 11, 2008)
Nice prog, does what it claims very well, just would wish that the RSS feature came as an optional component in the setup, I don't like to much RSS, instead I would prefer some hardware monitors.
Reviewing 2.2.00b (Oct 29, 2007)
Tried this before and seems bloatware and pretty much a waste of time unless u really need it.
I use pstart portable for the most part.
Nice looking anyways
No comments yet